This past weekend saw three new releases, yet none of them were able to budge Sully from it’s #1 position. The Clint Eastwood directed movie, starring Tom Hanks, easily held onto the top spot for a second weekend with another $21. 65 million.
Of the three new movies, Blair Witch, the sequel to 1999’s The Blair Witch Project, came in 2nd with $9.57 million. That disappointing debut was about half of what the estimates predicted going into the weekend. Reviews have not been good, so the movie will probably quickly drop down the list.
Speaking of disappointing debuts, Bridget Jones’s Baby delivered the weekend’s second stinker sequel, with $8.57 million. Oliver Stone’s Snowden, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the controversial NSA whistle-blower, took in $8 million in it’s opening weekend, and Don’t Breathe rounded out the Top 5.
The Top 10 for the weekend of September 16 – 18, 2016:
(Movie – Studio Weekend Gross)
- Sully – WB $21,653,017
- Blair Witch – LGF $9,576,057
- Bridget Jones’s Baby – Uni. $8,571,785
- Snowden – ORF $8,000,058
- Don’t Breathe – SGem $5,640,232
- When the Bough Breaks – SGem $5,483,126
- Suicide Squad – WB $4,701,834
- The Wild Life – LG/S $2,771,443
- Kubo and the Two Strings – Focus $2,540,031
- Pete’s Dragon (2016) BV $2,152,802
New Movies in bold.
Are you into movies, games, fun and the occasional 140-character rant? Then follow me on Twitter, @JeffMMcKinney.